Monday, February 13, 2012

Extraordinária Fadistas │ João Pedro Geadas and José Luis Geadas

 João Pedro Geadas

 João Pedro Geadas and José Luis Geadas

 
 José Luis Geadas 

In this edition of Angel Watchers I am very pleased to present two extraordinary Fado (Fate) singers from Portugal.  João Pedro Geadas, and José Luis Geadas are brothers, and what a magnificent pair they make.  For those of you who are not familiar with Fado music, Fado is to the Portuguese, as Flamenco is to the Spanish.  It is deep song that is filled with muito saudade.  It's impossible to find an English equivalent for the word saudade, but it is at the heart of all Fado music.  One could say that saudade is that intense yearning that is so powerful, that you feel it as a weight, or pressure in your chest.  João Pedro Geadas and José Luis Geadas posses saudade in great abundance, and that is what makes their music so good.  My Dear Aunt Martha and I wept, and wept, as we listened to all of their beautiful music on YouTube, and we are happy to share it with all of the fans of Angel Watchers.  Personally, Fado means a lot to me as my maternal great grand-mother, Maria Branco was born and raised in Lisboa, Portugal and immigrated to the United States in the 1910s.  Maria Branco spoke very little English, and she was the inspiration for me to study Portuguese when I was an undergraduate at the University of Hawaii.  I remember very fondly as a child listening to the her Fado records on the phonograph, as I lay on the floor with the wonderful aroma of the Portuguese Sweet Bread that she used to bake wafting all around me.  I love and miss you avó Maria.  By-the-way, José Luis Geadas plays the Portuguese Guitarra so well.  It is very difficult for the left-hand of the player to press down to make the notes ring out on it, as the string-tension is so high, but José does a wonderful job.  Without further ado please click on the video widgets below to hear José Luis Geadas sing "Rouxinol da Caneira (Nightingale Of The Caneira)" and João Pedro Geadas singing "Cartas de Amor (Letters Of Love)".  Safe journeys to all the fans of Angel Watchers, wherever you may be.



No comments:

Post a Comment